|16 Weeks - Distance Education course |
Welcome! You are either enrolled in, or you are interested in enrolling in, the History 155 Distance Education class.
Controversy and questions still surround many aspects of the Vietnam War - America's longest war. Why did we go? Why did we fail to achieve our objectives? Could we have won? These are but a few of the questions remaining from the Vietnam era. There may be no certain answers to these and other important questions, but we can strive to make informed judgments and perhaps ask even better questions and learn from our past.
- To develop a better understanding of important developments, events and individuals in the American war in Vietnam.
- To develop a better understanding of the nature of the relationship between people and the historical process.
- To acquire a better understanding of the techniques and tools of the historian.
- To continue to develop and improve study and research skills which includes reading comprehension, critical thinking and effective verbal and written communication.
- To utilize and understand how current technology works as a study and research tool.
- The origins of Vietnamese nationalism
- The roots of the Cold War and evolution of US policy in Southeast Asia
- The role of women in the Vietnam war
- US strategy and tactics
- The dynamic relationship between the home front and the front lines
- The issues for veterans
- The legacies of the war.
You can obtain the required books from the Owl Bookshop.
You will need to use your official Citrus College issued email account. Your email is established when you are registered for classes. You must have access to your email account prior to starting the class.
Details regarding the course are set forth in the class website. When you go there (see below), pay particular attention to the syllabus section and the assignment section.
- Your WingSpan ID becomes your Blackboard Username
- Your WingSpan PIN (Personal Identification Number) becomes your Blackboard password
- To change your PIN/password requires, change it in WingSpan
- Data will be transferred from WingSpan to Blackboard on a regular basis
Once you get to the Blackboard welcome page, click on the History of the Vietnam War course link on the right, and you will go to the course site. Familiarize yourself with the course site and if you have any questions please email your instructor with your concerns. Get your textbook and get started with your initial assignments. A major key to your success in this course will be keeping up with both the reading and the other assignments.
If you have a disability documented by a physician or other appropriate professional and wish to discuss academic accommodations, please contact the DSP&S office at (626) 914-8675. Please discuss your accommodations with your instructor by email. Be sure to allow at least one week for appropriate accommodations to be arranged.