The Faculty Learning Institute approves travel related to faculty development. Due to the unusually large number of requests we have received this year (fall 2014), we find that as of November, we have depleted over 50% of the yearly allotted funds for this purpose.
The FLI Committee is having to implement new travel criteria in order to fairly distribute the remaining funds for the 2014/2015 fiscal year. We will distribute the remaining funds in three time periods, with all travel funding that is approved being divided equally amongst those applying.
Effectively immediately, we are requesting that all travel requests be submitted in two-month time increments, with a due date of the tenth day of the previous month for the period in which the travel will occur.
Here is the timeline:
1. For travel occurring in January/February- all forms must be submitted by December 10.
2. For travel occurring in March/April- all forms must be submitted by February 10.
3. For travel occurring in May/June- all forms must be submitted by April 10.
The approximate amount of funding for each time period is $2,300.
We apologize that we are having to implement this new policy mid-year; we will plan to make this a yearly practice beginning with the 2015/2016 academic year.
John Vaughan, Lanette Granger, co-chairs Faculty Learning Institute on behalf of the Faculty Learning Institute Committee
How to apply for funds:
1. Fill out a Travel Authorization Form (available from your department secretary). Also include the
Request for Staff Development Funding form. Attach copies of any supporting documents (such as program descriptions or registration forms). Keep copies of everything for your file.
2. Get the necessary signatures from your dean and forward the Travel Authorization Form and Request for Staff Development Funding Form to Caroline Tippins in Staff Development. The travel expenditure must first be approved by the Faculty Learning Institute. The vice president and president will sign the forms
after committee approval. Do not make any nonrefundable reservations or buy tickets until your request has been approved, unless you are prepared to pay for expenses yourself.
3. After you receive your authorization, make your reservations and go. Have a great time, and
keep your receipts!
4. To receive your reimbursement submit an expense voucher along with receipts to
Accounts Payable/Fiscal Services within two weeks after you return. You will not be reimbursed if you do not submit an expense report, and your allocated funds will be returned to the faculty development budget for someone else to use.