In this curriculum, you will learn to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair all of the systems on a modern on-highway and off-highway, diesel powered truck or heavy equipment. This program combines classroom studies with practical, hands-on training in a lab setting working on trainers, simulators and a variety of vehicles and equipment.
Our two-year manufacturer sponsored program, will prepare you for a career as a diesel technician by training you in the fundamentals of medium and heavy vehicle systems operations and repair. No prior repair experience is necessary to enter the program. Our instructors will train you from the fundamentals of vehicle repair to the most advanced vehicle diagnostic procedures. For persons already working in the field, this evening program allows you to upgrade your skills and advance your career as a diesel truck or equipment technician.
Courses provide a broad-based and thorough education in the basics of heavy truck and equipment diagnostics, maintenance and repair, and will cover such topics as:
- engines/computer controls
- fuel/after-treatment systems
- automatic/manual transmissions
- axles/final drives
- air/hydraulic brakes
- electrical/electronic systems
- suspension/chassis systems
Our heavy-truck and bus master certified instructors will teach you how to use advanced diagnostic tools, like:
- CAT ET
- Cummins Insight
- Allison DOC
- DTNA DiagnosicLink
- Snap-on Prolink IQ (Snap-on certification available)
Partners and Sponsors
Get Ahead program sponsorship of
Daimler Trucks of North America (DTNA), through
Velocity Truck Centers, our program provides the latest in manufacturer training from Freightliner, Detroit Diesel, Allison Transmission, Eaton Transmissions and Western Star. Our program will prepare you for employment as an entry level technician at a Velocity Truck, Freightliner or similar heavy truck dealership.
Click here for more information on DTNA Get Ahead sponsorship and training.
Our program works closely with industry partners to provide job opportunities at companies such as Quinn Caterpillar. Since 2016, our program has been participating in an internship program with Quinn Caterpillar which has provided careers to many of our students and are always looking to place more.
On-site Power Generation – Diesel Powered Generator Program
Our program also offers California's first community college program for on-site diesel-powered generator repair. The power generation program will train you to maintain on-site generators. Course topics include:
- industrial diesel/gasoline/CNG engine service and repair
- 120/240/480 single and three phase generator repair
- load testing procedures for generators
- fundamentals of kW, kVA and kVAR power output
- generator switch gear and controls
Our program has partnered with local industry partners to provide internship and employment opportunities. Employment partners include:
- Quinn CAT Power Systems
- Generator Services
- Diesel Generator Services
Your Future Lies Ahead!
There is a constant demand for certified men and women in this field due to the high number of diesel powered on-highway and off-highway vehicles, heavy equipment, marine engines and on-site power generators. Median wage for a diesel technician is $48,500 per year. Average hourly wage is $23.32 per hour.*
Cooperative programs and sponsorships with major diesel and automotive companies support the program and ensure that the latest technologies are being taught to students. Citrus College Medium and Heavy-Duty Truck program graduates have a 90% placement rate.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Diesel Service Technicians and Mechanics (Jan 11, 2021): https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/diesel-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm
Estimated Cost of Program
- Associate of Science Degree in Medium and Heavy-Duty Truck Technology: $4,528
- Diesel Engine Service, Diagnosis and Repair Technician Certificate: $2,748
- Medium and Heavy-Duty Truck Service, Diagnosis and Repair Master Technician Certificate: $1,080 (must complete diesel engine service certificate first)
- Stationary Power Generation Service, Diagnosis and Repair Technician Certificate: $840 (must complete diesel engine service certificate first)
Need More Information?
Introductory courses to enter the program are offered year-round.
For questions, please contact our award winning medium and heavy-duty truck and power generation instructors:
Follow us on