Accordion Content

​​What is the Chafee Grant for foster youth?

The Chafee Grant is a federally funded program designed for undergraduate students who are current or former foster youth and may be used for career, technical training or college courses. Funding is subject to availability of Federal funds each year. To be considered for the Chafee Grant, students must complete the FAFSA and Chafee Grant application.

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant. You do not have to repay these funds once you have been granted. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. The grant is in addition to any other state or federal aid and you may receive as much as $5,000.00 per school year.

How do I qualify for the Chafee Grant?

To qualify, you must:

  • be eligible, or have been eligible, for foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday.
  • not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1, or the award year.

The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status.

How do I apply for Chafee Grant?

File two forms:

For more information, please visit or call the Commission at (888) 224-7268 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:50 p.m.

Stay in school or lose your grant!

You must stay in school to keep your Chafee Grant! If you enroll in classes and get paid grant money based on eligibility and enrollment, be sure to let us know if you are dropping classes prior to doing so. Dropping a class can cause your status to go into repayment. If you owe grant money back to the school, all additional financial aids funds may be suspended until repayment is made.

Adhere to satisfactory academic progress standards

You must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better and the ratio of classes completed must be at least 67%. If you do not maintain these standards, your financial aid may be suspended.

If you have questions regarding your status, please contact the financial aid office at (626) 914-8592.


California Chafee Grant Program for Foster Youth 

California Department of Social Services

Casey Family Programs

Foster Youth Orphan Foundation of America

Foster Youth Help
The State of California has a foster youth ombudsman office to assist foster youth and former foster youth advocate for their rights. This website provides information as to what you are entitled to receive and how to get help accessing it.


​​Department of Social Services​

for general relief, food stamps, jobs location assistance

Food and General Relief Aid

The Food and Nutrition Services program is a federal program that helps low-income people buy the food they need for good health and nutrition. Benefits can be accessed using the EBT (electronic benefit transfer) card.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program is a nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy. A more detailed program description and information can be found on the WIC website.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (EFAP) provides emergency food supplies to low-income households and individuals, as well as mass feeding sites such as soup kitchens. To obtain information regarding the EFAP food distribution agency serving your county, visit the EFAP website.

Disaster Grant Assistance for Individuals and Families: The California Department of Social Services (CDSS), Disaster Services Branch (DSB), can provide grant assistance through two programs. They are the State Supplemental Grant Program (SSGP) and the Disaster Case Management Program (DCMP).

Food Banks and Rescue programs is a listing of food banks and rescue programs throughout California.

The Adult Support Services program provides relief and support to adults without resources who are not supported by their own means, other public funds, or assistance programs. Benefits, payment levels, and eligibility requirements of these county programs will vary among each of California's 58 counties. For further information or to apply for the ​program, contact the department of social or human services in your county of residence.

DPSS Local Offices​

  • EL MONTE DISTRICT OFFICE, 3350 Aerojet Avenue, El Monte, CA 91731, (626) 569-3100
    Participant Help Line (626) 569-3183 or (626) 569-3688

  • PASADENA DISTRICT OFFICE, 955 N. Lake Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91104, (626) 791-6333
    Participant Help Line (626) 791-6730

  • POMONA DISTRICT OFFICE, 2040 W. Holt Avenue, Pomona, CA 91768, (909) 865-5210
    Participant Help Line (909) 868-6499

​​​​PLEASE NOTE: We strongly encourage you to phone the resources below before you go to verify opening hours and confirm services offered.


  • ESGV Homeless Coalition – Transactional Housing, (626) 333-7204

Emergency Shelters

Dial 211 for available shelters

  • Foothill Family Shelter, 150 W. 9th Street, Upland, (909) 920-5568 - call first
    Transitional housing for up to 120 days for men, women and children
  • Inland Family Hope Partners - (909) 622-3806

Low Income Housing

  • Section 8 Housing - (800) 731-4663, (562) 347-4663

Area Food Banks

  • Luminate Church, 250 E. San Bernardino Rd, Covina, (626) 966-4488
    Call for days and hours open.
    Valid ID and proof of address
  • Shepherd's Pantry, 657 E. Arrow Highway, Suites I and J, Glendora, (626) 852-7630 (between Sunflower and Bonnie Cove)
    Call for days and hours open.
  • Cory's Kitchen (Faith Community), 1418 Arrow Highway, Irwindale, (626) 305-0392 or (626) 858-8400
    Call for days and hours open.
    Homeless Schedule ​​- Call for days and hours open.

For more resources, or if you need further assistance, please visit the student affairs Resources for Students in Need​ web ​page.​

Back To Top