Real Estate Broker Certificate of Achievement
Duration: This certificate is designed to be completed in two semesters. However, if the student has already completed the real estate sales certificate, this may take only one additional semester.
Licensing: Completion of the real estate broker certificate fulfills the educational requirements to sit for the state broker licensing exam. Passing this exam allows you to work as a real estate broker.
Careers: Brokers are able to do everything an agent can do, but they can negotiate better commissions or even open their own real estate brokerage.
Required Experience: Either a minimum of two years full-time licensed salesperson experience within the last five years, or two years of unlicensed equivalent experience, or a four-year degree with a major/minor in real estate is required.
Required Classes: There are eight courses required to complete the real estate broker certificate, three of which are also part of the real estate sales certificate.
Students who have completed the three classes to become a real estate salesperson generally only need to take five of the following classes to complete their broker education. See the
California Department of Real Estate
Requirements to Apply for a Real Estate Broker License.
- Real Estate Economics (REAL 222) or Accounting 100/101 (ACCT 100 or ACCT 101)
- Real Estate Practice (REAL 212) - required for the sales certificate
- Real Estate Finance (REAL 214)
- Legal Aspects of Real Estate (REAL 216)
- Appraisal I (REAL 226)
- and (3) three courses from the following list:
- Business Law (BUS 160)
- Real Estate Principles (REAL 210) - required for the sales certificate
- Real Estate Property Management (REAL 220)
- Escrow I (REAL 224)
- Appraisal II (REAL 228)
- Students intending to complete the real estate appraisal certificate (below), it is recommended that students take Appraisal II (REAL 228). By completing this elective course, students will only need to complete one more class, Residential Report Writing (REAL 230), to also fulfill the requirements for the real estate appraisal certificate.
REAL 214, REAL 216, REAL 222, REAL 224, and REAL 226 are each available in a four-week online format (fast-track). For information about Citrus College Real Estate Fast-Track program,